Sep 21, 2011

Cactus Joe's

On Blue Diamond Highway between Vegas and Red Rock Canyon is a 7 acre cactus garden called Cactus Joe's. There, you will find a sort of southwest fantasy land with art, animals, pots, rocks, gems, gold, and terrific cactus plants. The staff is extremely friendly and knowledgeable. Dori and I were buying some Agave plants and one of the staff noticed an infection on one, promptly warning us before purchase. I picked out another Agave(disease-free) and was so thankful for the honesty.

They're starting to have some sales since the temperature is dropping, which also allows me to cover more ground and really look around the place. Parts of the property remind me of my Utah grandma's backyard putting me into a labyrinth dream as I did as a child. Suffice to say, the place is charming. They have also rescued some stray animals from around town, who proudly laze around the place adding a magical air. I've yet to run into Cactus Joe himself, but I've heard he's one of the most interesting desert people you could ever meet. Until then, I will continue the search.





Ant hill-ants made with rocks and metals by local artist Russ Quinn.



Don't worry she was okay. Its just the dry heat.

6 comments:

  1. Those are some cute sales animals he has there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha Randy! They do such a good job. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an unusual place. I have really enjoyed noticing the harmony with nature in which these animals exist. At one time, I have collected cactuses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Olga. =) I'm trying to imagine what a cactus would look like in Canada or Russia. ;) I can barely keep a Pathos plant alive here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad to know they have rescued animals, and I have to admit this would make me spend more money buying plants, pots, rocks... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha Lucia - I feel the same way! =)

    ReplyDelete