Nov 10, 2011

Joshua Tree

IMG_1947
The name Joshua Tree was given by a group of Mormon settlers who crossed the Mojave Desert in the mid-19th century. The shape of the tree reminded them of a Biblical story in which Joshua reaches his hands up to the sky in prayer. The tree-like plant is native to the southwestern states of California, Arizona, Utah and Nevada, where they are found organically in the Mojave Desert between 1,800-5,900 feet elevation.  One of my favorite plants - they look like a cross between a Palm tree and a Yucca plant.  IMG_1467
Another favorite place to go during the cooler months is here. I love both chocolate and cactus plants - I couldn't think of a better combo to explore at the same time. During winter, the plants at Ethel M Chocolate Factory and Cactus Botanical Gardens are dressed up in colorful lights. There are plenty of chocolate samples to partake. We bought some yummy hot chocolates last year at their store and walked it off at the cactus garden. The Joshua Tree(above)is from Ethel M Chocolate Factory and Botanical Cactus Gardens. IMG_0662
 DSC05787
Joshua Trees are a protected species in the Mojave Desert, so it is illegal to dig them up and carry them away.

Favim.com-13055
This is my idea of retirement...in the high desert next to a Joshua Tree. Dori and I would be sitting in the empty chairs of course! And Jean-Luc(our chat) would be chasing desert rats.

9 comments:

  1. You always give us interesting information in your posts, now I know about Joshua Tree (and I don't mean U2 albun).
    I have to admit, when I read "chocolate and cactus plants" I thought "What are they doing in the same sentence???" hahaha
    Chocolate = temptation...
    Have a good weekend Sandy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mean you never have tried cactus covered chocolate? haha Just kidding Lucia!;) You are funny - I also thought of U2 when I wrote Joshua Tree- I was going to say something about it in my post but you did it for me!=) Thanks for your kind words. Tenha uma ótima semana!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That last shot and the idea is a dream! I love Joshua Trees and the one with the lights is great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Randy! Maybe you and your partner could be our neighbors next to the Joshua Tree or vice versa. What a fun dream that would be. I hope you have a nice weekend in Santa Fe. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. what GREAT shots Sandy!


    Aloha from Honolulu

    Comfort Spiral

    > < } } ( ° >

    ><}}(°>

    < ° ) } } > <

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Cloudia...love the fishies...there are three this time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don`t entirely agree with the idea of retiring in the desert...I`m sorry; I just prefer the south of France.
    Wonderful photos. I feel like I can sense the atmosphere of the desert.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hee hee Olga I live with a desert squirrel aka Dori - she has agreed for visitation with Occitania(southern France) every year avec moi. Phew! =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooo I love the new banner shot!

    ReplyDelete