Jan 17, 2012

Hoodoo Voodoo

DSCN0087
Over the weekend break, we headed to Bryce Canyon National Park. It's a 4 hour drive from Las Vegas.  The park is famous for its reddish-limestone rock in bizarre shapes, towering formations called hoodoos. Geologists say they were shaped by centuries of erosion. The Paiute people(a Native American tribe) tell a different story. 

The Legend People (To-when-an-ung-wa) were notorious for living too harshly on the land.  They would drink up all the rivers and there would be no water left for all the other creatures. During Fall, the Legend People would eat up all the pine nuts and there would be no pine nuts left for the animals to make it through winter.  The animals and creatures started to complain how rude and reckless they were behaving - they got the attention of the powerful god, Coyote.

The Coyote being famous for being a trickster - he decided to punish these people in a creative way.  He invited them to a feast.  He promised that they could eat all day long.  And so, the Legend People showed up with their finest war paint and most colorful clothing. But before anyone could take a bite - he cast a spell on them that turned them to stone. 

The Legend People tried to escape over the top of the canyon rim - and when doing so, they trampled on top of each other. They stand inside the canyon to this day like rocks. The geologic forces of erosion and weather have worn these rocks. They look more like towers in a city than cursed beings. Yet, you can still see some that resemble a being.

DSCN0090
DSCN0110

DSCN0113

DSCN0117

DSCN0133

DSCN0157

DSCN0134

DSCN0144

DSCN0135

DSCN0105

12 comments:

  1. The rock formation is great, and for me it's much more amazing seeing them covered with snow!
    Shot #5 show us how impressive is this place! And the last one is very sweet Sandy. :)
    I do prefer the Coyote story, much more fun (I had terrible ideas...). ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason Lúcia-I can't see you with terrible ideas!;) I think you are right...the snow adds a new layer to these rock formations. Thanks for a nice comment as all ways Lúcia. =)

      Delete
  2. Absolutely magnificent, Sandy. I can't believe how blue the sky looks in these pictures. What a place! We are buried in snow for the next two or three days. What a difference a few states make... Veronique (French Girl in Seattle)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Veronique! =) I agree, the more I travel around the states....you can see the differences in climate. I hope you aren't buried too deep! Hang in there French Girl in Seattle! ;)

      Delete
  3. Those are great photos! Looks like you two had a great time. I'm a little bit jealous that you spent time at Bryce; I've never been there, but have always wanted to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sonya! Don't feel jealous - I'm sure you will get there. I thought the same...it was both of our first time visiting Bryce Canyon. The scene brought me to tears...it's quite a sight. =)

      Delete
  4. What an amazing place. I have always wanted to visit there. Your photos are just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much Randy! It's quite a place for certain. I hope you get to visit some day. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Positively breathtaking and stunning photographs. I have visited many western states and locations, but never this area which I will need to remedy. Thanks for visiting my blog which enabled me to find yours! I'll be back...often!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why Thanks Kate! =) It was my first time visiting your Santa fe Blog via Randy the other day. =) I love your photos and stories of this area. I think southern Utah is one of these places that isn't the easiest to get to...but it's worth the adventure! Take Care.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for stopping by my blog... Great pictures here! I will be a follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teresa! =) I feel the same way about yours. Have a great weekend!

      Delete