Jan 29, 2013

Elixir of the Gods

AdobePhotoshopExpress_20130124131758


Coffee is one of the most consumed beverages in the world. While there are some people who avoid coffee for health or religious reasons, and some that just plain don't like it, most of us have a lifetime coffee history.   

 When I think of my earliest memory of coffee, the focal point goes back to my grandmothers. My French grandmother would always have a cup of coffee after a meal. She sat at the head of the table very quietly and prepared her cup. She had a small white ceramic cup with a tiny silver spoon that slowly stirred the black liquid. She would then add two cubes of white sugar without spilling. Us kids would watch wide-eyed, mesmerized by her ritual, and then have grenadine (french sweet syrup) mixed with water or milk. This was the highlight of my day!

My American grandmother grew up in a Mormon household where coffee was prohibited. Somewhere along the way, she discovered the black elixir and never looked back. She stopped going to church and instead tithed her money while enjoying her coffee every Sunday.
 
As for me, coffee is surely in the blood. One of my earliest jobs is working for Starbucks where I was allowed to drink ALL the coffee I wanted for free. Here in the Four Corners, I found a unique coffeehouse called Durango Joe's - it's actually more popular here than even Starbucks! It originates from Durango, Colorado, and I'm totally hooked! Dori and I are addicted to the Mexican Mocha. Durango Joe's is a must-try if you're in the area, and especially if coffee is in your blood.



AdobePhotoshopExpress_20130124132032



AdobePhotoshopExpress_20130124131423



AdobePhotoshopExpress_20130124131540

26 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hi Fabio. It's not my car but I wish!;)

      Delete
    2. Yes me too! It matches your shirt! =)

      Delete
  2. It sure is "black elixir"! I loved hearing about your grandmothers' coffee histories. So does the Mexican Mocha have chocolate and cinnamon in it? I'm sure it's delish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sonya! You got it - the Mexican Mocha has chocolate and cinnamon. I bet you've had Mexican hot chocolate. Yum! =)

      Delete
  3. What alluring invitation. Even though I mostly have black tea, enjoy once a day a small cup of Greek coffee. Please have a good Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robert! You seem to have a good balance on things. =) Have a good Wednesday too! Thanks.

      Delete
  4. Enjoyed your coffee memories of the Grandmothers. Story of your Mormon Grandmother got me tickled!
    Got to have my morning coffee. Black please! For an afternoon pick-me-up, your Mexican Mocha sounds like a great choice! Drive Thru Coffee House. A real convenience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Parker! Thank you. You like it black huh...I've tried and I can't do it! You are stronger than me. =) Happy week to you.

      Delete
  5. Bonjour Sandy! Well, if I ever make it to the 24 Corners :-) you will have to introduce me to Durango Joe's Coffee... By the way, love your chi-chi headwear. I take it the weather is a wee bit chilly in the 48 Corners these days? At any rate, Coco Chanel would be jealous. :-) Veronique (French Girl in Seattle)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonjour mon amie Veronique. If you ever make it to the 96 Corners (you are killing me softly in laughter) I will introduce you to Durango Joe's for sure. Of course we would have to stop at Jean Pierre's for a $5 croissant. Then hit the train to Silverton. Coco Chanel would approve! ;) Thanks for your fun words. Have a nice week. xx

      Delete
  6. I don't like coffee, I tried many times and couldn't understand the passion people have for coffee.
    But I do love milk (the very fat kind). It's almost midnight and I'm still drinking milk.
    I like the matching hats! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lúcia! I think when I first tried coffee I wasn't the biggest fan. But when I tried a mocha - I was hooked. I love mochas. It has chocolate in it and cream. I think coffee is more addicting than anything else. If it didn't give people that buzz...I don't think as many would drink it. Ewwwww bad girl, you're drinking fattening milk! hee hee! Good for you. It's good for your bones! HAve a nice week.

      Delete
  7. I am not a coffee drinker either. I do however have some co-workers that I do not see until there coffee kicks in around 10 am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Randy! That makes you less addicted than most of us. Good for you! LOL @ your co-workers. I think I'm one of them. ;) Have a nice rest of the week.

      Delete
  8. You are just my sort! wishing you both Happy Aloha
    from Honolulu,
    Comfort Spiral
    ~ > < } } ( ° >

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cloudia! I bet your winter is perfect! xo

      Delete
  9. There's nothing like a good cup of coffee with some irish cream in it while sitting on the lanai in Maui watching the sun come up! :~)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW Ron! That sounds like heaven!=)

      Delete
  10. Coffee - don't even mention it in my house. Everyone is pretty much addicted. My recent favourite is Cuban coffee we brought back from vacation. Another thing we have in common!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Olga! We seem to have a lot in common huh!? Ewww a Cuban coffee...that sounds delish! xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Una maravilla de viaje...un beso desde Murcia.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't say that I'm a real coffee drinker, but I like the smell. It's really weird.

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gina! That's not really weird. I've heard quite a bit of people tell me that. =)

      Delete