Jan 17, 2013

To Cuba and Back

AdobePhotoshopExpress_20130117125452


New Mexico was named by 16th century Spanish explorers who hoped to find gold and wealth equal to Mexico's Aztec treasures. These Spanish were the first Europeans to arrive in New Mexico. The Pueblo, Apache, Comanche, Navajo, and Ute peoples had lived in the region for some twenty thousand years prior. New Mexico under Spanish rule was from 1692-1821: 129 years. New Mexico under Mexican rule it was from 1821-1848: 27 years. New Mexico under the United states was from 1848- present: 165 years. There's much more history, but after reading an excessive amount, I stopped and headed down to Cuba, New Mexico to try some authentic cuisine. 

 New Mexican cuisine is a fusion of Spanish, Mediterranean, Mexican, Pueblo Native American, and cowboy chuckwagon influences. Having Mediterranean and cowboy DNA, New Mexican cuisine really speaks to me. New Mexican food is similar to, but not quite the same, as Mexican and Tex-Mex foods preferred in Texas and Arizona. The word on the street was to try El Bruno's in Cuba, NM and I have to agree!

 New Mexico remains a place isolated enough from the rest of the country that one can still venture out of the city and find great, wild beauty, excellent cuisine, and still catch a glimpse of what New Mexico was like hundreds of years ago. Maybe the gold and wealth doesn't exist, but it certainly is a treasure.



photo





AdobePhotoshopExpress_20130117125516




AdobePhotoshopExpress_20130117130145




AdobePhotoshopExpress_20130117130401




AdobePhotoshopExpress_20130117130610




AdobePhotoshopExpress_20130117131713
 
 Native American patrons at El Bruno's- I love how they put on their best turquoise even to go to Walmart. You see this more in the older generation.


AdobePhotoshopExpress_20130117130807
El Bruno's has excellent chips and salsa and even better margaritas!


AdobePhotoshopExpress_20130117125751

21 comments:

  1. I love visiting cities with an interesting history, places full of personality, beautiful landscapes and great food!
    Thanks for the tour Sandy!
    I wish you, Dori and Jean Paul a wonderful 2013! :)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lúcia! I hope 2013 has treated you good so far! =) By the looks of your photographs. Looks good to me!;) xo

      Delete
  2. I thought that you had headed to Cuba for a beach holiday and some sun! Nice shots - you have more snow than we have here in Toronto.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA I can see how you would think that. Nope, just sun and snow Cuba in New Mexico. ;) More snow than us? WOW!!

      Delete
  3. How beautiful life feels in this part of the world. Thank you for this journey very much. Please have a good Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robert! Like wise. Hope you have a wonderful weekend. =)

      Delete
  4. Great shots. That food looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Randy! The food was yummy but I think the margarita was better! ;)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for showing the locals. Hawaii ladies wear our Hawaiian (gold) bracelets ALL the time every where.....


    Aloha from Honolulu,
    Comfort Spiral
    ~ > < } } ( ° >
    > < } } ( ° >
    > < 3 3 3 ( ' >

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You welcome Cloudia. I think I know what your talking about...is that an Asian thing?xo

      Delete
  6. Snow pics with the bright sun and New Mexico Blue skies are eyecatchers!

    The Mexican plate with the fishbowl size Margarita makes my mouth water! So glad all the differant cultures over the centuries developed such fine cuisine for us latecomers to the scene!

    I raise my glass, (a Cuba Libre'), to the wide-open spaces of New Mexico and the Village of Cuba!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Parker! I think you would have enjoyed this place. Thanks for visiting...I think we both love our food!;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful area~ I remember Farmington. We stayed there a few years ago when we traveled to Canyon de Chelly and Monument Valley. Guess it's time for another trip this summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there. You have one on me. I still have to make it out to Canyon de Chelly.=) Lucky you! Btw, love the name desertsandbeyond.=)

      Delete
  9. Great photos and a nice history lesson. The food makes me hungry and the snow make me cold! All the chips are gone though, does that mean you were on your second margarita since it was full? LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ron! haha! You know how the chips are always served complimentary first? Well, I completely devoured them before my food got there.;) Hope you had a great weekend!

      Delete
  10. Love the southwest, so I'm a little jealous. Great photos here...enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will. Have a great day and thanks for visiting.=)

      Delete
  11. That's beautiful scenery. And I love the restaurant photos (the locals, the building, and the food). I miss seeing all the turquoise jewelry. I should wear my few pieces more often (a bracelet and a couple sets of small turquoise/silver earrings).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sonya! Thanks! When are you heading back to New Mexico? I bet you have some nice pieces of turquoise you could wear out here.;). You lucky dog! I'm still working on mine.xo

      Delete
  12. Excellent Pictures of Cuba. I like it very much.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Find the Best Holiday Destinaton in Cuba!
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete