Feb 25, 2013

Last Meal

AdobePhotoshopExpress_20130225171608

The Four Corners has had some unpredictable weather lately. While not the best for photograph taking, it's been ideal for staying indoors and cooking comfort foods.


This led me to wonder about the ultimate comfort food. What would your last meal be? Not that you are a condemned prisoner, but it uncovers some truths about people. (http://www.famouslastmeals.com/ 

My last meal would be spaghetti.

When my Dad was on his Mormon mission to the south of France, (incidentally at the same time Mitt Romney was on his mission, but that's another blog), he fell in love with spaghetti, and accidentally my mother. Unlike my mother, he is still in love with spaghetti. Dad first found his true love on a street in Marseille, France. He and another missionary would go to this place where they served up cheap spaghetti once a week, all you could eat. Surely he'd eaten spaghetti before, but not like the French make it, topped with Gruyère cheese and mushrooms. He loved the stuff so much that when we moved to Saudi Arabia for his job, spaghetti was on the menu once a week. Since they didn't have Gruyère cheese in Saudi, he used Emmental cheese, similar to Gruyère with a little less kick and also from Switzerland. 

When I moved to the states, I realized that I really missed my Dad's spaghetti. I couldn't afford expensive imported Gruyère, so I chose the American version of Swiss cheese and it was good enough. I can still devour huge platefuls with no problem. There are so many different dishes I could have chosen for my last meal, but perhaps the nostalgic and positive emotions from childhood just send it over the edge. 

That, and it's just damn good!


                      AdobePhotoshopExpress_20130225172336



                      8508957250_87c63496e4




AdobePhotoshopExpress_20130225195258



                      AdobePhotoshopExpress_20130225174834



                      AdobePhotoshopExpress_20130225175105



                      AdobePhotoshopExpress_20130225175310



8507896247_a37c95d0fd
Jean-Luc took this photograph

25 comments:

  1. Yummy post!

    Hi, Gals :-)

    ALOHA from Honolulu
    Comfort Spiral
    ~ > < } } ( ° > <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will have to stop by for a taste. ;) Happy week Cloudia.

      Delete
  2. Genial..estupendas fotos...un beso desde Murcia...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's lunch time here, and your post remind me how hungry I am!
    You always have nice stories to tell us, love all of them! BTW, you and Dori are so lucky for having a cat photographer! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bon apettit my friend. I hope you enjoy your lunch. =) Thank you for your kind words. Always. haha. Some cats are talented. I'm glad you noticed.;)xo

      Delete
  4. I forgot to mention, I like the new layout. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I feel like it's cleaner no?=)

      Delete
  5. First up, the photos were excellent. Good layout with your interesting story! Now there is food for thought?? Last Meal!
    Easy to see how you arrived at your choice. Seems at times the only thing that satisfies the soul is comfort food from one's youth. But the Last Meal is serious business requiring lots of thought! I have so many that I would choose from, can't make up my mind. Suppose "it's just damn good" would be reason enough for a choice!
    Your home cooked spaghetti meal is delicious to look at and I'm sure tastes wonderful. Seems one of you likes more sauce with their spaghetti!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA Parker! You noticed my spaghetti drowned in sauce. It's almost like a spaghetti stew. =) Thanks for your compliment and comment. I know it's a hard decision to make! Do you have any idea what yours might be? Hope you have a great day.

      Delete
    2. My best idea of the Last Meal would have to depend on the day of the week when it would happen. Home cooked would be the first requirement. If it fell on Friday a fried flounder or baked salmon would be nice. Saturday would have to be Mexican! Sunday a pot roast with brown gravy. Monday, chopped beef BBQ sandwiches on sesame seed buns from Sundays leftover roast (don't forget the Lay's plain chips)! Tuesday and Wed. probably a stir fry. Thursday would be Spaghetti with meatballs and a summer salad. Somewhere I have to put Chicken fried steak with cream gravy and mashed potatos on the menu..........! After all that; bet you wish you wouldn't have asked! HaHa
      Now for Dessert! Ahem....................

      Delete
    3. Awww you are good! And a foodie!;) So if you had to 'go' on a thurs. it would be spaghetti. OH man.. that made me laugh! Sounds like you have a yummy menu for your week. I have a rotating menu. It's usually the same things I like too. Bon appetit my friend! Enjoy your stir fry today! ;)

      Delete
  6. Yes, there's rarely a meal that I like as much as Spaghetti, as it reminds me way too much of home. Thank you for this journey. Please have a good Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robert! Really? I'm glad to hear this. Where is home if you don't mind me asking. =)

      Delete
  7. Mine would be something totally unhealthy and decadent since I wouldn't have to worry about the consequences, I'll have to think about what it would be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Red! I was waiting for your answer and no cigar. It's a hard one isn't it!? =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow that would be something to think about. I have so many favorites. Can I have dessert too? I would have to say Enchiladas with a side of vanilla ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Randy. Enchiladas with a side of vanilla ice cream is probably one of my favorite meals too!!! It's hard to choose!

      Delete
  10. Love your pictures and your story of comfort food memories. Awww and I especially like the picture of you and Dori taken by Jean Luc. :-) My last meal would have to be traveling with you and Dori eating Paella in France. But of course, when I come to New Mexico I'll be ready for some of that yummy spaghetti...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Nina! Thanks for your sweet comment. Fantastic last meal choice...gosh that makes me rethink my meal. haha. Lots of good meals out there. And what a great memory I had with you and Dori in Nice. Top 10 meals for sure. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dang. Wish I could be with you for that last meal, especially if you find real gruyère, Sandy. I bet we would have a lot of fun! My last meal if I could pick? A generous cheese selection; a green salad; some red wine; a fruit tart or dulce de leche ice cream. That's it. I'm easy, right? Veronique (French Girl in Seattle)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Veronique. I would definitely like to share a last meal with you! I mean... you even said we would have fun. I like your positivity! BTW, I love your last meal! It's so you. Simple and delish. Gosh now I'm craving your meal. You would have to share some of yours with me and vice verse!;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great question, and harder to answer than you would think!

    I think my last meal would be dessert, specifically, Hula Pie at Kimo's in Lahaina. Just one slice is enough to make a meal out of and if your on your way out, you might as well go out in paradise!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Agreed! If I ever make it to Hawaii...I might just try this slice of Hula Pie! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mmmmm. I like a lot of sauce with my spaghetti, too! I don't think I've ever eaten spaghetti with Gruyère or Emmental (I usually just use one of the standard Italian cheeses). I will have to try it one day. And I love good, crusty bread with my pasta.

    ReplyDelete