Aug 7, 2013

Southwest Colorado - 4 Corners

47717_10201774342340694_1566706964_n
Ouray's Natural Hot Springs (93 degrees). We just conquered the Million Dollar Highway. With Dori.



I feel very lucky to live in the 4 Corners (New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Colorado) cool day trips are only an hour or 2 away. I won't drive through the Colorado Rockies during winter (too scared). But this summer..I did!  

Back in the 1870's gold was found in this area and dozens of small mining towns grew into flourishing communities. Places like Ouray, Silverton, and Durango Colorado sprang up, sometimes overnight. Thousands of men from all over the world came and looked for their fortune. A handful of them found it. I had never explored this part of the 4 Corners but I'm grateful I did. Southwest Colorado will be a summer favorite! 


Copper River from Copper Hill


933910_10201774343500723_336766678_n-1
Silverton, CO (My father mined here when he was a young man)


526403_10201774342900708_849108480_n-1
Copper Hill

 
Silverton, CO 



Ouray, CO 



1001228_10151789501804198_1252196157_n
Durango, CO 



Ouray,CO 



Best corn and tomato bought road side in Southwest Colorado. No exaggeration!



Silverton, CO 



A little sharding



1012930_10201774344020736_1489579383_n-1






1098083_10201794685809268_1387967048_n

13 comments:

  1. Dear Sandy. Loved following you to Southern Colorado. You're right, the *24 Corners* sounds like a wonderful place to live. I would have fun exploring too, if i lived there. Excellent photos, as always (I see your French blood still makes you a bit rebellious and a "rule-bender..." :-) Particularly enjoyed the cute drawing at the end. Who's the artist? The pet snake is a nice touch :-)
    On another note, I booked myself a short trip to Santa Fe next April. I can't wait, as I have never visited your corner of the woods. Very excited about it. Take care. Best to Dori (and the snake.) Veronique (French Girl in Seattle)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Veronique. Hope you're doing well. Thanks for stoping by. I bet you would enjoy this area. I'm thinking Durango...you would like best. It has an authentic French bakery. I was wondering where my rebellious ways came from...thanks for pointing that out.;)

    Santa Fe huh?! Wow! I am embarrassed to say... I haven't explored Santa Fe...yet! I bet you will like it. I hear they have some yummy restaurants. Green chile please. My green chile plant is producing. I can't wait to read your blog about Santa Fe. I have no doubt that Santa Fe will give you some inspiration. My inspiration seems to be fleeting too. I never finish my art work... Dori and i dont have feet. ;) Ciao!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you two had a blast! Glad you had a great time (and cool you were where your father used to mine). I love all the photos, and I also love the drawing of you and Dori, too. (I wonder if that floral-lined path in Ouray, CO reminded you of somewhere in France?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sonya! Thanks for stopping by. I'm so glad you liked the photos. And you are right...the floral-lined path did remind me of France. ;) au revoir!

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful place. I just that drawing of you two.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonjour Sandy. Thank you for stopping by chez French Girl and for the great link about Santa Fe's French Connection. Love it! You know how much I enjoy finding "French connections" wherever I travel. I can't wait. It's going to be a long, unpleasant fall, (with all the divorce unpleasantness and all,) but I will come out smiling on the other end of the tunnel... and Santa Fe will be waiting in April. Yeah. Take care, Veronique (French Girl in Seattle)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonjour French girl! It's nice to have 'French connections'.;) I don't think I have your email address? Send me a note at saundra.blake@gmail.com...you will need support during this time. I can't imagine how Fall will be. Hang in there French lady! You will be alright. Sunny Santa Fe is only a little ways away. April will still be cold...but at least the sun will be out.=) xo S.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks like you have an awesome time in Colorado! We vacation in Durango last summer, and took a tour in silver mine in Silverton. I must appreciated your dad work being a mine worker there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes thank you Quynh!! Mining is hard work!

      Delete