Mar 5, 2014

Legal in Santa Fe!

It's been forever since I've done a blog post. I was forced into hiatus due to a computer crash, but up and running now thanks to my iPad (albeit not the easiest way).

I've missed connecting with fellow bloggers that's for sure. And a lot has happened! One epic event worth mentioning - Dori and I are legally married! Yes, as soon as the first counties in New Mexico were issuing same-sex marriage licenses, we drove down to Santa Fe and jumped in on the action. We were couple number 77. I think that's a lucky number.

The day was August 30, 2013. It was a sunny day as usual in New Mexico. Neither of us had ever been to Santa Fe. We were both excited yet skeptical. How would this work out if our own county of San Juan (majority Republican) didn't recognize it? We did it anyway, and good thing we did. New Mexico surprised us. Shortly after our wedding, the state of New Mexico officially legalized same-sex marriage statewide, every county. It was surreal to say the least. Not only were we recognized federally, we were finally recognized by our new state. What a contrast from where we used to live, Arizona, who had just recently almost legalized discrimination against people like us. While Arizona is a beautiful state, Dori's birthplace, and the place we met; it still has a long way to go. Even more surreal was Utah (another four corners state and my birthplace), for a moment began issuing same-sex marriage licenses but sadly they took it back. It was New Mexico who held firm. Everything that lead us to the land of enchantment, our new state of New Mexico, seems to have been guided by fate. We owe much of our happiness to our parents that helped us get here and the humble people of New Mexico. To our new friends and new jobs. And to each other for making it this far without giving up when everything was against us. So what do you do when something this epic happens? You eat quiche at a French restaurant in Santa Fe. Serendipity was on our side, the french restaurant Clafoutis was located next to a Blake's (my last name) a New Mexican establishment. I think that was a sign that we're here to stay!




 
If I knew we were going to do more than sign papers, I would have reconsidered my casual clothing.Good thing we are lesbians, we are low maintenance.

16 comments:

  1. You opened your post with "Its been forever." With that my wishes are that you soul mates have Happiness and Good Fortune forever! Who would have known when you made your scary journey, way back when, to New Mexico for employment, that the Gods would bless your journey with such happiness! If I would have been there I'd have danced a jig with bells on both feet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Parker! Long time no see! Thanks for stopping by and as always thanks for your kind words and support. I'm heading over to your blog now. Can't wait!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What wonderful news Sandy! Heartfelt félicitations to you, Dori, and New Mexico, of course. Who needs a wedding cake and Champagne? I say quiche at Clafoutis was a much better choice. Junior and I are planning to fly over in April for a few days, so I certainly hope you and Dori can meet us there, maybe for breakfast or for lunch? Alec is a cool 14 year old. You would both enjoy him. I read your post to him, and he suggested we celebrate your wedding with a French drink at Clafoutis (non alcoholic for him, of course :-) What say you? -- Veronique (French Girl in Seattle)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci French girl! That sounds great. We are a little tight with money and time before France. It certainly would have to be a weekend. We'll see what we can do. Email me an update when you and Alec are coming! x

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you're back! I don't have much time for blogging as I used to, but at the same time I've met so many nice people that became good friends of mine, I can't quit!
    So, my good friend, congratulations again! You deserve all the good things that have happened to you and much more!
    Don't vanish!
    Tell Dori I said 'hi". ;-)
    Beijos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Abrigaga Lucia! I too haven't had time for blogging. My computer is broke. It's hard to do it on an iPad but its worth it to connect with bloggers like you! So nice for your visit. Please say hi to yours. And I'm looking forward to your photos even if it won't be as much. We can't stay away can we!?;) xo

      Delete
  5. Official "Congratulations!" I'd like to think I'm a little bit a part of your history with my phone call about the good "news"! Love you both! :) L.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes yes Linda you were the first call I got about the news! ;) you are difintely part of our history. Now get back to Duolingo and learn that french.;) xo

      Delete
  6. Congratulations to you two. May you have many, many happy years together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ron! I hope you many years going to Hawaii and taking terrific photographs! =)

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, my goodness! I haven't stopped by your blog for a few months and when I finally stop in, I see a lovely surprise! Congratulations to both of you! May you have many happy years together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sonya. Thanks for stopping by and thank you! I haven't been doing much blogging these days as you can tell. I hope to get inspired again soon and I'm looking forward to being back on the saddle w/ my blogging friends like you!=) Hope you and the little one are still doing lots of adventures.

      Delete
  9. Congratulations! That's awesome! Let's keep our fingers crossed that Utah will figure it out one of these days too! :)
    Allison

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Allison. Thank you! I appreciate that. I'm crossing my fingers for Utah too. I was born there, so it would mean a lot. I hope you and the family are doing well. The little one looks like he's growing BIG time! =)

      Delete