Jul 29, 2014

A Moment in France








It's hard to describe a trip in just a few words. Especially after seeing and experiencing so much. But I thought I would share a small moment I had on my trip to France.

That moment when you've been traveling for awhile and your weary bones finally find a perfect spot. It feels like the blank stare we all get time to time, where we go somewhere else and stare at nothing; but it's comfortable.

The place is Narbonne, France. Dori and I check out of our hotel and head toward the center of town for some window shopping before catching our train to Barcelona. We had our rolling luggage and full backpacks on as we made our way through long narrow cobblestone streets lined with stores and cafés. Passing a small snack bar, I looked at Dori and said, "want to stop here and eat?" I could tell she was hungry and grumpy. She says, "sure, if you want". I order with my basic french, 2 baguette sandwiches with salted butter and gruyere cheese. I also order an Orangina to share. A man inside the small and cramped bar was chatting up the woman that was making our sandwiches. We find two stools just outside the place. Dori and I sit with our baguette sandwiches in hand. With our rolling luggage secure, I go for the first bite. I felt my body go into ecstasy. The food here tastes different. The air is different. I felt my body relaxing. Everything stopped. Dori was quiet too. All I heard was the murmuring of the man and woman's french words behind me, as I stared into the street pretending to notice people walking past me. But I had left somewhere. I felt content, even being so far away from home. Not worried about the train we were about to catch, the right streets to take, how I was going to use my french again, returning home, bills...nothing.

Dori says something and we start chatting. The woman that made our sandwiches comes out of her cubby hole to smoke. She starts talking to the man that seemed to be trying really hard to get her approval. They must have been in their 40's. The woman had a cool demeanor. She reminds me of a dirty-blond Joan Jett. The man had black hair and olive skin, typical for the area. Dori gets up and places a euro piece on the counter. French Joan Jett seems almost relieved for an escape as she drops her cigarette on the stone street, hurries past the black haired man, and eases her way behind the counter to the euro. Dori and I say merci & au revoir to French Joan Jett, to our delicious baguettes, and to France, as we head to the train station for a new adventure.

7 comments:

  1. You're finally back to the blog world!
    You know how I love reading the post you girls write!
    I'm glad you had a wonderful time in France, it's a pity we were so close and couldn't meet up...
    Looking forward to seeing more pictures!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lúcia.=) I hope I can try to stay inspired to continue blogging for awhile but it's hard when shards happen. Yes, I come up with the story and I ask Dori to make sure my spelling and commas and such are correct. It's nice to have a personal editor. ;) Thanks again chica! I'm so sad - so close but no cigar. I hope some day my friend! xo

      Delete
    2. You both owe me a visit my friend. :)
      xo

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've missed your posts and congratulations!! Great street scene shots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Spare parts and thank you! I only had my iPhone to work with on this trip. =)

      Delete