Dec 9, 2015

Return of the Lost Blog

Untitled


Time has been ticking and I've been sharding. But it's never too late for a new entry - Right? It's hard for me to blog stories if I don't have my handy editor (Dori) to check my work. She's too busy these days so....I guess that means I'm on my own!

I'm still thrilled about my move to the Four Corners, USA. This area is not a total mystery to me. As a child, I would fly once a year from Saudi Arabia with my family to the Four Corners part of Utah. This is where my father's family is from. This region is where my ancestors pioneered and established small communities along southeastern Utah. The Native Americans where the first ones to discover this beautiful land. Luckily, the natives of this area and my family had a good rapport with each other. At least that's the stories I've heard and read. The natives of the area would ask - 'Are they Mormons or the other white men?' I guess they had a preference to the Mormons. My grandfather who fought in World War 1 was also conversational in Navajo. My father as a kid remembers him listening to the Navajo radio station. Dad has lots of wonderful stories of this land, people, and culture.

The landscape is vast and the population sparse. It would almost seem like the land could ingest you whole! My dad's family on both sides come from the Hole in the Rock Expedition. This was a hardy group of pioneers that were swallowed up, spit out, and immersed into this region. You can find their story HERE

The land is political, it's cultural, and like the pillar of rocks that surround us - it shapes us. The Four Corners of Utah, New Mexico, Colorado and Arizona has a magnificent landscape and much of it still untouched wilderness. For some reason or other, I've been reluctant to advertise. These communities are poor, independent, and neighborly for survival - the nicest people you'll ever meet. Not to be blind-sided by the outlaws, meth heads, drunks, and lone wolves. The possessive human in me doesn't want it tainted. I suppose it already has been with the white man way of living against nature. Just like recently, a mine spill that turned our river orange and made national news.

The Four Corners part of Utah is home to a deeply religious people who until recently have publicized their area. A western writer fifty years ago described it best:

"The Mormons in their smaller communities have clung tenaciously to a way of life which prevailed in the small towns of Middle West a half century ago. Nearly every family has a cow and a horse or two in the barn, chickens to supply eggs for the household and perhaps a few to sell, fruit trees around the house and a garden in the backyard.

"These people enjoy a measure of independence unknown to the more sophisticated younger generations today. Their comfort and security are determined very largely by work they do with their own hands. Striking streetcar motormen, and pickets at the steel mills and coal mines in the distant industrial centers, disturb their way of life not at all.

"But they pay a price for the security and independence they enjoy. Cows have to be milked and chickens fed twice a day, seven days a week. There is no time for weekend motor trips.

"The smaller Mormon communities seldom go to the chamber of commerce ballyhoo. They have no night clubs or bingo palaces for entertainment. The church is the center place of worship, and it fills both needs adequately.

"As antidote for the distractions of a sophisticated society, these people have only peace and simplicity, and the majesty of great red sandstone cliffs fringed with juniper and pinyon. It is a grand place only for those who have learned to appreciate the artistry of natural things, and the companionship of a devout and frugal people."

IMG_2165
Goosenecks Park - Utah





IMG_2090
Navajo Twin Rocks - Bluff, Utah



AdobePhotoshopExpress_20130313132524
Mexican Hat , Utah
(Me & Dori)
AdobePhotoshopExpress_20121120134505
Anasazi Ruins, Mesa Verde National Park - Colorado




DSC05287
Dead Horse Point - Utah




Untitled
The orange river -Animas River

Untitled



Untitled
Hole in the Rock Expedition - Painting by Lynn Griffin


Untitled
Pioneers from Hole in the Rock Expedition - Gravesite Bluff, Utah


AdobePhotoshopExpress_20130313132356
Dusty sleepy town - Farmington, New Mexico

4 comments:

  1. A fascinating post, and a part of the US that is completely unique and incredibly beautiful. I would love to spend time there and take photos. Your family history is really interesting as well. Very cool that you have such deep roots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Spare Parts! I would really enjoy to see your pictures from this area for sure! Thanks.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sandy! So nice to see your post. I wasn't posting for a few months myself.
    Beautiful photos of an amazing part of the country. I followed the link and was enthralled by the story. The folks back then were most certainly made of tougher stock than those around today. Beautiful photos + a great narrative = a PERFECT post. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pat! Thank you for your comment! I'm with you -" the folks back then were most certainly made of tougher stock than those around today." So true!! =)

      Delete