Feb 8, 2016

The Yearly Trek to Monument Valley

Untitled
I'm showing off!

Dori and I make an annual trek to Monument Valley. It's located on the Arizona/Utah state line near the Four Corners area. The valley lies within the range of the Navajo Nation Reservation and is accessible from U.S. Highway 163. My father also makes his yearly trek from Las Vegas through these lands to get to his childhood home - a small town an hour away from Monument Valley. When my dad starts the stretch from Kayenta, Arizona, to Blanding, Utah - he gets a smile on his face, and like clock work says, "I'm home".


For Dori and I, it's a magical place. A place to reset our biorhythms (Dori's sci-fi fantasies), our love for the outdoors, our love for the Native American culture, and our relationship. 

Untitled
This is a very happy rez dog! That's slang for dogs that live on the Navajo Nation Reservation. Usually free and disheveled. They are always happy to see you.   


Untitled
My native friend who is an avid mountain biker made me a faux feather to tie on my helmet. I love it!


Untitled
Dori is way over there!

Untitled
There she is!


Untitled
No filters needed in Monument Valley. The lighting is amazing! All these pictures were taken with a cell phone.


Untitled
Life is good.



5 comments:

  1. WOW! Honey you live in a magical place and are magical beings!!!!!!! I'm living in Marin County now, so mountains and valleys and driving for miles feel like being back in the USA after 30 Hawaii years! Did I say wow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cloudia! I'm so excited for you! Isn't driving for miles the best feeling!? Welcome back to the mainland my friend!!:)

      Delete
  2. Wow! I've been there, but was so young that I hardly remember it at all.
    Not only is the landscape amazing, so are the photos of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed! I never tire of this place. Thanks for stopping by Pat.:)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete