Jul 9, 2017

New Mexico : The Land of Entrapment



Untitled


When I moved to New Mexico for a job in 2012, I was looking forward to a new adventure. Initially, I was going to be in New Mexico for a year and then transfer back to Vegas. I've been here 5 years now, and I keep finding an excuse to move. That's what I do, I'm a nomad - I pass through. I've heard people call New Mexico the land of entrapment. That makes me giggle. The official State Nickname is the "Land of Enchantment." When I first started working and living in New Mexico, I noticed people being nice here - especially if they were born and raised in New Mexico. I was telling a coworker from Chama, NM that people in New Mexico are so nice. He said to me, "It's because we are poor." That comment always struck me. Was that true? or is it because New Mexicans are so sparsely populated? New Mexico is a large state that can swallow its population whole. I feel like people here have had to really count on each other to survive. They seem more humble somehow. Am I right about my assumptions? Who knows. I'm sure there are probably 1000 more reasons why. And I thought.. if there are nice people here, then the crime rate would be lower. It's pretty high actually. That part I haven't figured out.

Another coworker, Linda, who made fun of me when I first started working with her. She's actually my best friend now. Who knew! There was a discussion at work about red and green chiles. I opened up my big mouth and said, "Do you plant red or green chiles Linda?" I didn't realize it was just as bad as making that Jessica Simpson comment about chicken of the sea. Well shoot! There are many varieties of peppers aren't there?! Oh no, red peppers are simply ripened green peppers. I knew that. Not! I read somewhere green peppers are why people move here and red peppers are what makes people stay. I just love roasted green peppers but I love red peppers too. I tend to order the christmas blend which is green and red peppers together. Peppers in New Mexico are a serious deal. The most asked question in New Mexico is - red or green? Another common question I was being asked in the beginning - Las Vegas, New Mexico or Las Vegas, Nevada? I would tell people my family lives in LAS VEGAS. Oh no, it's all about New Mexico. I seriously thought there was only one Las Vegas. Nope, there is a Las Vegas, New Mexico. Actor Patrick Swayze had a ranch outside Las Vegas, "New Mexico".

Here comes the french theme. I went to a lavender festival in Abiquiu, New Mexico. Yes, in New Mexico, not in South of France! Abiquiu, NM is Georgia O'Keeffe country (respectfully after the Native Americans). These natives, like me (in away), were nomadic, and knew good territory. I can see why Georgia fell in love with the area. It's truly enchanting. Seeing the lavender fields in New Mexico was breathtaking to say the least. It felt like going into a far away secret place. Lavender is new to the area. A part of the mediterranean in New Mexico. It just paired well together. My bestie, my spouse, and a lavender field under a hot sun...if New Mexico keeps this up, I might continue to be entrapped by this enchantment! Corny? Sorry. 




Untitled

Untitled



Untitled

Untitled

4 comments:

  1. This was a LOL post! Land of Entrapment!! That's a good one. I think I would like New Mexico. It does seem that people are nicer and less crazy in areas (like NM) where they aren't jammed together (like here in S CA). And gotta love that NM sky!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I love visiting S. CA for the craziness every now and again! πŸ™‹πŸΌπŸ˜œ I think I'm due! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Hi Sandy! So nice to see your post. Although, I visited the tourist attractions in NM as a kid, I've not been back since. If for no other reason, I'd like to visit to see some of the TON of rock art sites there. Thanks for keeping in touch! Glad to see that you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pat! Yes, A TON of rock art! You would be in heaven. I need to do a post on some. Thanks for the idea. ;) As always Pat, you're a delight.

      Delete