Sep 4, 2017

Sutherland Farms in Aztec, New Mexico

Untitled

It's that time of year when green chile from Hatch, New Mexico makes its way into our northern New Mexican supermarkets. As hatch chile continues to become more and more popular around the country, competition between growers becomes a friendly but serious sport. After all, New Mexico is the 'Chile Capital of the World', as our license plates proudly state. 

I had heard from some locals that the chile at Sutherland Farms was a little better than Hatch. I thought to myself - that's impossible! I finally made the trip to Sutherland Farms to see what the fuss was about. The season for fresh roasted green chiles is quick, so you want to jump on it. It's way better in taste than getting frozen green chile from the supermarkets. 

So yesterday, we drove to Sutherland Farms to pick ourselves a bushel of roasted green chile. You can order mild, hot, or extra hot. Dori likes it extra hot. The grounds are charming, and the staff friendly. The roasted green chile is more expensive here, but since it's local we don't mind. Our bushel of green chiles lasts almost a year. We literally just finished our last ziplock bag of the old batch the same day we went for the new bushel.

We made ourselves some veggie burgers with the new Sutherland green chiles on top. French fries and a Marble IPA. It doesn't get more New Mexican than that! The verdict, Dori says it's better than Hatch. It was so hot for me that I couldn't make a good analysis. It was more like jalapenos. Green chile is very specific even if I only have Hatch to compare it to. After they sit a while and have been frozen, I'll come back to revisit the flavor.  


Untitled


Untitled


Untitled


Untitled


Untitled
Dori is happy to have her bushel of green chile


Untitled


Untitled


Untitled
I might have taken the New Mexican theme too far in this picture. Happy Labor Day!

7 comments:

  1. Hi Sandy! You guys eat a bushel of hot peppers a year? That is a lot of peppers! Don't get me wrong, I can eat hot peppers, but anything above medium hot, totally hides the taste of whatever I'm eating them with. That sure is a beautiful area. I really need to get to New Mexico again.

    Great photos + very interesting words = a fantastic post! You may not be posting often, but when you do, it is always a really good. Take care, and try not to OD on peppers...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha Pat! I agree with you - extra hot peppers 🌶 you can't taste anything else! Thanks for the kind words! :)

      Delete
  2. Take the NM theme too far? Not possible!! Cool post, and I like the shot of the hanging peppers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you spare parts! I need photoshop. It looks like a lot of fun. I could use one of those super moons with some chiles. Lol

      Delete
  3. it sound a little to hot for me !but it will be interresting to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you come visit - you can try the mild ones 😉💓

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete